Re: File read speed *strongly* degraded on one partition only

On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:41:08 +1000
bob parker <bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>> Can anyone point me at anything that would help me figure out what's
>> going on, and how to recover my lost I/O speed?  What am I missing
>> here as to why this would occur?
>>

>> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/hde10            56563100  49769796   6793304  88% /home
>>

> Wild guess - the 88% full may be your problem.

Really?  I figured that writes would start to get slower as the
partition got closer to full; but reads as well, and by such a
large factor, when that much of the disk is still around?  (not
arguing -- I honestly don't know the answer)

> I have found that comparing large files is done quicker by doing an
> md5sum on each instead of diff. In my case the files are always on the
> saem ide chain so YMMV.

I'll check that out, thanks muchly.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)