Re: fried(?) computer hangs on boot

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 16:26, Pigeon wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 12:29:35PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > Hi!
> > My computer (running Sarge) overheated and hung the night before last.
> > I didn't realize why it had hung until it had been overheating for a
> > few hours (I went to bed, waiting for it to unhang, hence the delay),
> > then when I woke up I figured out why it was probably hanging and turned
> > it off.  While it was off, I cleaned an incredible amount of dust and
> > cruft out of the CPU heatsink, so that explains the overheating.
> >
> > Anyway, after it had cooled off thoroughly, I tried turning it back on,
> > and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the MB or the processor
> > because it'll boot, but once it gets to (and actually most of the way
> > through) booting runlevel 3, it just hangs.  It doesn't matter what
> > program it's starting (I've played around with the symlinks), it just
> > gets to a certain point and hangs.  Maybe it's a timing thing?
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if time was involved: that if you deliberately
> put some delay in early on in the boot process, it wouldn't get so far
> before it hung.
>
> > I'm pretty stumped by this whole thing.  Is it a problem with the
> > processor?  Or is the disk corrupted?  I'm using ext3, which I know is
> > *less likely* to corrupt, but heat will still corrupt a journalled fs.
> > Do I have to just reinstall from scratch?
>
> Since your processor heatsink was full of gunk, a damaged processor
> would be my first thought. I would surmise that maybe the overheating
> has caused leakage currents to increase or something along those
> lines, so that while it still works, it consumes more power than it
> should be doing and rapidly overheats.

A quick interjection, while it seemed relatively fine other than I
needed to run it with the cover off and a room fan blowing on the
heatsink in its last year, hosed, my old Pentium I/90 MHz in its last
year did develop an overheating problem that hung it after 2 days
running in the summer, and 12 days in the winter. When it finally did
fail, I took the heat sink and all off the cpu, and found a very
significant scorch mark on its surface. Not as bad as the i/o card on
the old 486 that took a lightning hit right in the middle of its main
control chip - all that system lost was its CMOS, that card and the 14.4
KB modem, but still, you realise just how hot those things are.

I run lm-sensors on hosehead here, and while the heatsink is smaller
than I've found on most other systems, this box has been keeping the 800
MHz P3 at 112C. I don't feel that is bad, as the screenshot I got of the
gkrellm sensor monitor indicated that the machine it was snapped from
ran with a CPU at over 200C. BTW, those are Celsius temperatures, not
hex values ;)

> Things to try include:
>
> - Boot off a floppy, see if it continues to work or if it still
> crashes after a bit
>
> - Stick the HD in another computer and see if it boots there OK
>
> - Increase the processor cooling somehow: place plastic bags of
> melting ice in contact with the heatsink if you can do so without
> obstructing the airflow; suspend a chunk of dry ice in the intake side
> of the CPU fan; give the heatsink a squirt of freezer spray every so
> often; use a vacuum cleaner in blow mode to give it hurricane force
> airflow. See if it runs for longer before it crashes.
>
> > I'm trying to get my computer up as fast as I can because it's the
> > firewall/gateway for my family's LAN.  At the moment I'm stuck with my
> > parents' Win2k computer, I moved the modem to this computer, but I want
> > to get it back behind a firewall ASAP.
>
> If that's all it's doing you can probably get a cruddy old computer
> that would still be big enough to do the job for less than the cost of
> a new CPU, which would get you going while you troubleshoot the dead
> machine with less haste.
>
> Alternatively, if the dead machine is already a cruddy old computer
> because its duties don't call for anything more capable, a replacement
> CPU should be dirt cheap.

That depends on whether or not you can still track down CPUs that fit
that slot and are within the speed range of the other chips on that
motherboard.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org