Re: An unsubscription FAQ / Rand / informational post

Karsten M. Self wrote:

Given the most recent unsubscribe problems (and I'd recommend tolerance
from both those unsubscribing and those replying to them on or off
list), I've written the following FAQ and added it to my rant-o-matic.
This is a tool I use to post frequently iterated posts on frequently
iterated topics / questions / problems.  It's trivial to read these
inline to the body of my response posts.

Online at:  http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/ ...to be updated
shortly.

Please review the FAQ and let me know if there are any errors,
additions, or corrections.

One item -- there's supposed to be a 'From bounce-debian...' header
attached to list posts which I'm not seeing.  This header indicates the
address which is subscribed to the list, and can be very helpful in
tracking down forwards or relay recipients (in the latter case there's
no way to be unsubscribed from the list, though it may be possible to
unsubscribe a relay which is spamming downstreams with list posts). I'm using fetchmail => procmail => mutt (maildir format) and am wondering if anything I'm doing might be stripping this header from my mail.

As for HellSurfer, I've forwarded the issue to debian-leader, and it
appears there are *no* subscribers from his email domain, which may
indicate the source of the problem.

Peace.

First step:  keep a record of what you've attempted and what is or is
not working.

Note that I'm just another list member, not an official member of
Debian.org.  This message does not reflect any official viewpoint or
policy of Debian or Software in the Public Interest.

 - *READ THE FOOTER*  There are simple unsubscription instructions on
   every mail that gets sent to the list.  Follow these directions.
   Note that if your email address or delivery has changed, this may
   not work.  Most lists have a similar informational message.

 - *IF THIS DOESN'T WORK*:  Go to the online list unsubscription page
   at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/unsubscribe  Check off the
   lists you want to unsubscribe from, AND supply your email address.
   You will be sent a confirmation email (this protects you from being
   unsubscribed, against your will, by a third party).

 - If you are still receiving list mail, send a message to
   listmaster@debian.org.  Note that Debian is a volunteer
   organization, and it can take a while for your mail to be responded
   to.  Allow a day or two.  There have been historic issues with
   people not getting appropriate response in a short period, please
   bear with us.

 - If you're still receiving list mail, escalate with a mail to
   leader@debian.org.  This will reach the current Debian Leader.

As someone earlier in the week mentioned on this list, another way to "unsubscribe" would be to bounce incoming list messages; the list serve would then soon auto-unsubscribe that address. I don't know if that's a good thing or not to recommend, nor do I know how to do it, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

--
Kent