Solved: kernel compiling problems (was Re: howto detect a parallel iomega 100 mb device)

Hello everybody,

I post this final reply on this subject so it may help
others who are trying to compile kernels :-)

The past week you've been giving me advise about how
to compile a kernel.
Now, I finaly got it working yesterday!

A few days ago, I emailed to Kevin McKinley, who wrote
on kernel compiling at
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

I cite:
-----
The first thing I would do in that case is go to "File
systems" and
ensure
"Second extended fs support" has "y" clicked. Then go
to "Block
devices" and
make sure "y" is clicked next to "Normal PC floppy
disk support". Then
go to
"ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support" and click on "IDE, ATA and
ATAPI Block
devices" and
make sure the first and third options "Enhanced
IDE/MFM/RLL
disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support" and "Include IDE/ATA-2
DISK support"
have "y"
clicked.
-----

The problem was in the last part, the "IDE, ATA and
ATAPI Block devices" option was set to N; When I had
changed that, everything worked without a problem !

Thanks you all for your help,

Joris