Re: emu10k1, dsp and app lockup

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 13:28, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
<snip>

> Because a lot of sound cards only allow single, or few-open of /dev/dsp.
> This means that if you want to play more than one sound at once, you have to
> mix them in software - that is what ESD is for.
>
> However, the SB Live! does mixing in hardware, and /dev/dsp can be opened *a
> lot*. At least, I've never run into any limits.

OK that's what I thought, so I guess I can do without and not suffer any
consequences, thanks for the tip. I've kept it there because in a
previous config (with an older card) it needed it, iirc.

> As for XCDRoast, it doesn't interact with xmms in any way.
> If XCDRoast hangs, that's its own problem; I'd bet on a bug in the
> application.

OK, I think I wasn't clear in my question, I'll reformulate a bit more
clearly. I've mentionned xcdroast + xmms here as an example that
happened. The thing is, whenever I used intensively my sound card and
another app came and tried to use it, it will succeed in playing the
sound it wanted, and then hang. I was wondering if I was missing
something or what...

Thanks !

Jeff