Re: gzipped files in mozilla

On 03-05-25 22:01 -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> Georg Nikodym wrote:
> >Back in the day, browsers like mosaic would automatically unzip gzipped.
> > Understanding that this was sometimes a hassle, I gather that this
> >"feature" has been disabled in modern browsers.  So my question is:

I think most browsers still support this, over HTTP connections at least.
Unless it's apache making it possible for me

> This is overkill, but who cares...  I have dhelp and apache installed so
> I can go to http://localhost/doc to browse the same directory[among
> other things] and since apache serves up sane mime-types for all the
> files I can view the .gz text files just fine in mozilla.

dhelp looks nice, esp. the search feature (after looking at the very
brief 'apt-cache show' description), but the default apache installation
comes with an alias to http://localhost/doc/ (note 'Alias /doc/' is
subtlely different from 'Alias /doc', I think that's what the comment
below is referring to)

I don't recall whether I had to uncomment it to enable it, & I think I
added the 192.168.0.0 line myself, but I have this in my
/etc/apache/httpd.conf file:

# Allow access to local system documentation from localhost + LAN.
# (Debian Policy assumes /usr/share/doc is "/doc/", at least from the localhost.)
Alias /doc/ /usr/share/doc/

<Location /doc>
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
  # allow from LAN
  allow from 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
  IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* RCS CVS *,v *,t
</Location>

Personally, I like lynx for reading the /usr/share/doc heirarchy. It
works both over http or directly from the filesystem

HTH
Kenneth