Re: Suspend-to-disk [WAS: Re: Find out what process access disk]

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:47:24PM +0200, mody@quick.cz wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 11:36:29AM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> > A notebook without suspend support? Or is it just not working for you?
> > If it is not working, I'm sure you have a kernel with APM support, but
> > have you looked at the sleepd package?
>
> It has suspend function, but it's somehow windows only. Maybe the ACPI is
> badly implemented in the HW. Don't know... It's Acer Travelmate 740.

Don't know about the Acer. However, if the buttons don't work or the
system won't suspend automatically, it might still be possible to force
it to suspend using sleepd. Sleepd should even be able to suspend when
the battery is low.

> > IIRC, there also was a package which could hibernate (suspend-to-disk)
> > your computer even if it didn't support it. It probably used linux to
> > write a partition and to restore it on the next boot. The problem is, I
> > can't remember what it was called and I don't seem to be able to find it
> > using apt-cache search. However, my laptop doesn't suspend-to-disk under
> > linux (it just hangs) and I'd like to know what package it was.
>
> I know that package. It's swsups. I don't use it, because I can't safely
> create partition for the memory image. :-( Or I'm lazy. I don't mind the
> everyday boot.

Great! I meant something else, but this looks even better! Gonna try it
out sometime real soon... Thanks.

David