Re: How to find version of XFree in Sarge?

On Sun, 25 May 2003 19:10:06 -0400
Jack Dodds <brmdamon@aci.on.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Karsten, but I already checked that link,
> followed it to:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/
>
> and here is what I found for the nv driver:
>
> nvidia-glx-src 1.0.3123-4 [contrib]
>      NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
> nvidia-kernel-src 1.0.3123-3 [contrib]
>      NVIDIA binary kernel module
>
> Unfortunately, "4.x" doesn't tell me what I need to know!
>
> Is there some meaning to the "1.0.3123" number? Is this a Debian
> number, or and XFree86 number?
>
> I hope you can shed some light on this.
>
> Thanks

<snip original mail>

The nv driver is part of the XFree86 package, so you can't see it as a
separate package. It is included in this one. The NVIDIA driver is
another driver, ie the "nvidia" one if you would install it. They both
have issues. The nv driver is 'free', but has no 3d accel (no specs from
nvidia) and doesn't allways support the newest cards. The nvidia
propietary one is non-free,  but has 3d accel and usually supports newer
cards. One of the drawbacks is that it's a kernel module, so that
generally makes it more difficult to install.

The XFree86 server gives me 4.2.1.1 as a version reply so you might want
to look for a backported one if you want to use the nv driver or use the
propietary nvidia drivers instead. (allthough I thought that card was
supported by this version,but from your original mail I gather it is
not)

greets,
Wim

Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not sure about the latter.
 -- Albert Einstein