Suspend-to-disk [WAS: Re: Find out what process access disk]

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 09:55:39AM +0200, mody@quick.cz wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 02:34:09PM +0200, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
> > Sounds like the kernel's ext3 driver is fooling you ;-)
> > Per default it syncs in 5s intervals. In recent kernels you can add a
> > mount option to sync at specified intervals...
>
> Arghh! It's ext3? :-((( I suspected some mailchecker but not ext3. Well, I'd
> rather stay with ext3 and let the disk spin forewer, than use ext2. I've no
> suspend support on my notebook, so it can turn off itself suddenly and then
> ext3 is very handy...

A notebook without suspend support? Or is it just not working for you?
If it is not working, I'm sure you have a kernel with APM support, but
have you looked at the sleepd package?

IIRC, there also was a package which could hibernate (suspend-to-disk)
your computer even if it didn't support it. It probably used linux to
write a partition and to restore it on the next boot. The problem is, I
can't remember what it was called and I don't seem to be able to find it
using apt-cache search. However, my laptop doesn't suspend-to-disk under
linux (it just hangs) and I'd like to know what package it was.

TIA,

David