RE: monitoring Raid on Debian

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:

> Hi Alvin !
>
> I believe it's an American Megatrends card.
> Standard DELL PowerEdge 2400 series.
>
> Don't tell me to throw it away, I just got this box running sweet  :)

i think megaraid has something called "megaRaid Monitoring utility"

meant throw away the promise fastrack stuff and get a real hw raid
like 3ware or megaraid or ??

> Correct me if I'm wrong...
> Theoretically, if a disk fails, Debian shouldn't know anything.....

that's the problem...
	- the system should keep working as if nothing is wrong ..
	 w/ or w/o a hot spare
		- except you do wanna know about the failed drives

	- with a hot sapre.. you have a little longer to figure
	out if a disk failed or not .. usually a red light on
	the raid array
		- connect those led to the monitoring tools
		and you're set  :-)

	- and w/o a spare, the raid subsystem is no longer raid and
	running in degraded mode till the failed disk is replaced

	- another disk crash and you lose everything on the raid array

	- in theory, stick in a new disk.. and wait and it will all
	be back to normal ... w/ no data loss.. no down time.. :-)
	( if you have to fiddle ...  its not a properly config'd raid )

	- good backups of raid is essential .. if data loss is not
	an acceptable possiblity/reality

c ya
alvin