From: Alvin Oga [mailto:aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com]
Sent: Monday, 26 May 2003 4:06 PM
To: Ross Tsolakidis
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: monitoring Raid on Debian

hi ya ross

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've successfully installed Debian on my Raid 5 system, basically 4 disks running hardware Raid 5.
> Was pretty easy, just installed using the 2nd disk from Debian.
>
> Anyway my question relates to monitoring the hardware raid.

you're choices are limited .. :-)

your monitoring is strictly dependent on which hw raid card you're
using...  if you're using 3ware ... they provide some monitoring
	if you're using promise ... throw it away ... use software isntead
	if raid monitoring is more important than non-functional hw raid
	from fastrack series

sw raid works best for most apps we played with

sw raid monitoring ... that might also work for some hw raid ...
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/Monitoring/

by the time there is a problem with raid... it's too late ... its
broken.... :-)

monitoring and emailing wont help ...  your users will be screaming
	- dead disk, flaky disk drives,
	- dead fans, dead power supply, dead cpu, ..

best thing you can do is to do proper backup of their data, so
that corrupted data does not get backed up to overwrite previously
good backups

c ya
alvin

> What application would I use to monitor it ?
> Say a disk failed, at the moment the only way I would know is by looking at the machine and seeing one of the disk lights turned red.
>
> Is there a common app people use ?
> Something that can email you if there is a problem with the raid ?

This email is from PowerServe Australia Pty Limited (A.C.N. 102 661 441)
The information contained in this email (including any attached files) may be privileged and confidential intended for the use of the person/persons named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are advised that any use, distribution or copying of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify PowerServe Australia Pty Limited immediately on (61 3) 9618 1222 or reply by email to the sender.

PowerServe Australia Pty Limited does not represent or warrant that this email or any attached files are free from computer viruses or other defects. Any attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from use of the attached files. In any event, the liability of PowerServe Australia Pty Limited is limited to either the resupply of the attached files or the cost of having the attached files resupplied.