Re: Samba refusing to let uses connect

hi ya elie

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Elie De Brauwer wrote:

> - - binaries got updated (apt), config file didn't change

sometimes not good that binaries are updated but not its expected
conf files ...  ( drives me nuts )  or moved to a new place

> - - smbpasswd is run for the testing user, the user can print without any
> problem but cannot access share files

hummm ... good sign ( of life ) ..

as was suggested earlier, try deleting the user and re-adding them
w/ smbpasswd

i'd also reboot the windoze box and have them log back in again

i'd also remove the network drive for the "share" on the windoze box
and recreate it

> - - smbparm, never heard of it (nor has apt) , where can i get it ?

opps... its testparm

and what does smbclient show

	smbclient  -L localhost
	smbclient  -L your-box

	linuxside ( smblient ) should see the windoze boxes

> - - ip ranges work, printing works, only file access doesn't seem to work

implies home dir problems ??  and/or login problems
	-- and/or the kernel needs smb enabled in its options

> - - samba config file, but I doubt you'll get any wiser of it ( i did some greps
> to strip comment to make it a bit smaller).  afaik nothing changed but the
> timestamp of the file indicates it might have been changed yesterday (by apt
> probably)

yes... it drives me nuts ... but... gotta look at it .. :-)

testprm is a simple way to do a quick 10 second review..

also, i forgot if samba uses /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}
or (re)check your firewall rules too

> [global]
>    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>    workgroup = NIRVANA
>    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
>    load printers = yes
>    invalid users = root
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 1000
>    syslog = 0
>    encrypt passwords = true
>    passdb backend = tdbsam guest
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>    local master = no
>    domain master = no

i'd use domain master = yes
unless you have a (real NT) PDC

>    wins support = no
>    wins server = 10.0.0.1

hosts allow = ??

# if you have more than one nic
interfaces =

>    dns proxy = no
>    name resolve order = wins bcast
>    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

i haven't used passwd chat

>    obey pam restrictions = yes

humm... i didn't use pam in my setups... :-)

> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = yes
>    writable = yes
>    create mask = 0700
>    directory mask = 0700

path = /home ???

> [printers]
>   browseable = no
>   path = /tmp
>   printable = yes
>   public = yes
>   writable = no
>   create mode = 0700

the above printer stuff doesnt look complete .. but okay if it works

at this point ... i'd be doing trail and error ...
	-- and i avoid windoze boxes so i dont have a pre-tested smb.conf
	file handy... i always make it fresh from samba.org w/
	latest/greatest stuff including buggs :-)

c ya
alvin