Will binaries for glibc2.2 work on the current unstable (with glibc2.3.x) ?

I have a ATI Radeon FireGL X1 128MB that I would like to get dri working on. I know that we recently went to glibc2.3 in unstable (I'm not sure about testing). This is all in the cause of getting better framerates on 'glxgears' (and graphics in particular). It currently gives me ~330fps. My ego (and quake3demo) wants more! :)

Now, I checked on the dri website at dri.sourceforge.net and found that since my card has the RV300 chip, it is not supported by dri yet. I then went to get the proprietary drivers from ati.com and it says that the drivers are compiled for glibc2.2 . Also I tried running that little "check.sh" that they have and it told me the same thing that I already knew (that I have glibc2.3).

I also run XFree86 4.3.0 from the penguinppc.org/~daniels repo. since I could not get my card to work with XFree4.2 and upon reading on some website, followed instructions to get it working with Xfree4.3.

If I installed the binary drivers (which are for glibc2.3 and Xfree4.2/4.1 only), then what are the chances that it will work on my system with minimum breakage? Has anyone already done this?

I also read somewhere else that the Xfree4.2 binary driver works with Xfree4.3, but this was on another distro (Mandrake or something, I can't remember).

To sum up the info about my system:
Debian Unstable (update as of 22 May 2003 except for some held back kde packages)
ATI FireGL X1 128mb
Glibc2.3.1
Xfree 4.3.0

Would it be any help at all to post my XF86config-4 file?

Thanks for any insights.
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop