Re: openoffice, nfs, and long pipe name

Chris writes:

> I had a look through issuezilla for existing reports but couldn't
> see anything talking about these files.  It would help if you would
> also explain what you see on the client that isn't working - most
> reports describe the symptoms not the problem and it is hard to
> determine if your problem is already reported by someone who didn't
> notice the name of the pipe.

Thank you!

> There are a couple of mentions of buggy NFS v3 implementations -
> maybe you could check whether you are using NFS v3, and if so try
> switching to NFS v2 to see if that makes a difference.  See
> Issuezilla #7123 for such a report.
>
> If you are already using NFS v2, I suggest you file a new issue for
> the developers to look at.

I attempted to change the settings by adding:

	nfsvers={2,3}

via the root-path in the dhcp server, e.g.

       option root-path "10.1.20.10:/usr/local/export/diskless-i386/default/root,nfsvers=2";

but that did not change anything. But what is interesting, however, is
that the digest string is different for two different X servers. For,
I tried to run openoffice using my local x server (the machine I
normally use), and openoffice tried to open a pipe of 65 characters
and, sure enough, the underlying, actually-created pipe in my
filesystem was short one character.

   So, anyway, the digest apparently has something to do with the X
Server and its probably some kind of embedded identifier that clients
use to recognize which X Server (or display) its working with.

   I'll look into issuezilla.

   Thank you again,
   Elizabeth