Re: kernel compiling problems (was Re: howto detect a parallel iomega 100 mb device)

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:44:27AM -0700, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Now, I did a complete kernel compilation - but I've
> got a nasty kernel panic I can't seem to fix:
>
> The boot process stops and ends with these lines:
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
>

> I don't know what to do to solve this - does it mean
> my lilo.conf is incorrect or something? It says
> root=/dev/ha2 as the error seems to imply (I added
> that as I thought that was the problem)

I'm no lilo expert - for me installing a new kernel is simply a matter
of copying arch/i386/boot/bzImage to my DOS boot partition and editing
the batch file that runs LOADLIN.EXE - but I'd first guess that you
didn't run lilo, which AFAIK is necessary if you are using it. You'll
probably need to boot off a rescue disk and rerun lilo. Search the
list archives for guidance on this as it is a reasonably frequent topic.

The other possibility is: did you compile the driver for your root fs
into the kernel, or did you compile it as a module? If as a module,
you need to use an initrd which is One More Confusing Thing To Get
Wrong. The preferred option is to compile the driver into the kernel.
This does unfortunately mean booting off a rescue disk, reconfiguring
the kernel and recompiling it.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons