Re: kernel compiling problems (was Re: howto detect a parallel iomega 100 mb device)

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/quick_steps.html

> > But in the end, today I found the other tutorial
> > (which linked to this page) was easier to follow.
> >
> > Now, I did a complete kernel compilation - but
> I've
> > got a nasty kernel panic I can't seem to fix:
> >
> > The boot process stops and ends with these lines:
> >
> > request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> 03:02
> >

> > I don't know what to do to solve this - does it
> mean
> > my lilo.conf is incorrect or something? It says
> > root=/dev/ha2 as the error seems to imply (I added
> > that as I thought that was the problem)
> >
> > Thanks !
> >
> > Joris
>
> what file system does your root partition use? make
> sure that you have that
> included in your kernel or else the kernel cannot
> mount it at boot.

The /etc/fstab states it's a normal ext2 format which
is in the kernel - so I don't think that should be a
problem.

Something else which may be weird: there is NO
/boot/initrd* file on the laptop - which I found was
created by the kernel image (a standard 2.4.18-686
image) on this computer I use myself - could this be
the problem?

I found there is a document about this initrd but I
find it hard to follow - especially on the part about
/linuxrc which I can't find - How can I get the
/boot/initrd* file created (if it's indeed needed
there) ? Can't I simply run a program for that ??
I find it odd that if the complete compilation setup
can be done without manual stuff, this part has to be
done without any help, just like that !

I hope you can tell what to do - it's some manual
there all right and it looks like it's some work
allright

thanks very much,

Joris