Re: [Very OT] Pigeons [was :Re: your mail]

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 03:54:30PM +0200, I.J.W Wever wrote:
> As would I. If I open my window too far, the bloody birds
> invade my room. They shit on everything and try to build
> nests. I like fresh air...

You should feel honoured. You must be a basically good-hearted person,
or they wouldn't be so keen on your room. A few suggestions:

- Get some of that two-inch white plastic mesh stuff that garden stores
sell for plants to grow up, and put it over your window. It doesn't
have to be particularly securely fixed; as long as they can see it
blocking the window, they're unlikely to try and break through.

- Hang a selection of brightly-coloured balloons in your window, so
the gap is filled with large, bright objects all moving in the breeze:
use white plant-fibre parcel string, to make the strings obvious.

- Let them build nests, watch them raise the chicks, make friends with
the chicks. That's how my pigeon enthusiasm got started, and it has
added a major source of happiness to my life. There's nothing quite
like hacking away with a friendly columbine weight on my shoulder,
occasionally trying to stick her beak in my mouth; or going to sleep
with the soft, soothing 'awk, awk, awk' of a contented pigeon snuggling
up to the pillow in my ears.

- Chop up the wiring looms from scrap cars into 6-9" lengths, separate
all the individual wires and scatter them about. When the pigeons have
finished raising their chicks, pot the nests in resin and sell them as
objets d'art.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons