Re: problem with AOL addresses

Quoting Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net>:
> AOL blocks your email if you both these conditions:
>
> 1. Your are sending via your own smtp server
> and
> 2. Your smtp server does not have a MX record

or
  3. you have a dynamic IP address (most dynamic IP, but probably not
all, yet).  My domain (austinblues.dyndns.org) has an MX record and
aol.com still rejects mail from it.

> AOL is not alone in this - in the UK many acedemic and scientific
> establishments ahve a similiar rule.
>
> Just to add to the nuisance, even organisations that will accept email
> from people with smtp servers o dial-up connections often refuse your
> email becasue some previous user of the IP address got it listed as an
> open relay or spammer.  Fixing this means you clean up the act for your
> ISPs less conscientious users.
>
> The work around is to use the ISP's smtp server.  I know it sucks if you
> are used to running smtp yourself but there really is no alternative if
> you are going to carry on with dynamic IP.

You only have to do this for the destination domains that reject
dynamic IP address, not all.  I currently have a half dozen domains in
my list.