Re: problem with AOL addresses

AOL blocks your email if you both these conditions:

1. Your are sending via your own smtp server
and
2. Your smtp server does not have a MX record

AOL is not alone in this - in the UK many acedemic and scientific establishments ahve a similiar rule.

Just to add to the nuisance, even organisations that will accept email from people with smtp servers o dial-up connections often refuse your email becasue some previous user of the IP address got it listed as an open relay or spammer. Fixing this means you clean up the act for your ISPs less conscientious users.

The work around is to use the ISP's smtp server. I know it sucks if you are used to running smtp yourself but there really is no alternative if you are going to carry on with dynamic IP.

Haines Brown wrote:
I sent a query to the list and it went out, but the message going
through AOL bounced:

... while talking to mailin-01.mx.netscape.net.:
<<< 550-The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic
<<< (residential) 550-IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail
<<< transactions from your 550-IP address until your ISP removes
<<< your IP from its list of dynamic 550-(residential) IP
<<< addresses.

This problem apparently is not new (from 2000: "Ist das Dreist oder
was?") but it has hit me only in the last couple of weeks.
Apparently, in a clumbsy (everyone seems to agree) effort to block spam, AOL does a reverse DNS
lookup, which fails when the sender's IP address is dynamic (no mx
record). On the other hand, it has been suggested that AOL is simply filtering access
to certain ranges of cable and DSL IP addresses.
I suspect there are enormous numbers of people using dynamic IP
addresses, and so it may be that many list subscribers who have AOL as
their ISP are missing mail. Is this so? Anyone else experiencing this
difficulty?
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a reasonable work
around. Does one have to relay one's mail?

Haines Brown

--

Best regards,

Patrick Kirk