Re: mencoder: Converting divx to mpeg for VCD

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:56 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm not sure what script you mean, but mencvcd can make a VCD from any kind
> of video that mplayer can play.
>
> I use this command line:
>
>    mencvcd projectname --device 0,0,0 -vnorm n -vfr 1 deathsmaller.avi
>
> That makes a bin/cue pair (or several) which I write to CD with
>
>    cdrdao write --reload --device 0,0,0 --driver generic-mmc projectname.cue
>
> Obviously the driver will vary.

Of course, you're right...  :)  Sorry for misleading anyone with wrong
information in my previous email.  It was not intentional.  As I
mentioned, I've never used the mencvcd script... I don't have a
hardware dvd player and have no need to encode to mpeg1 or mpeg2.

> The main problem with this is that audio/video sync is never perfect.  No
> one on the mplayer mailing list had a way to fix it, either.  It was just
> announced (see http://mplayerhq.hu) that A'rpi is working on a new mplayer
> core that will have perfect sync, so he's clearly aware of the problem.

Sorry to hear about the a/v desync.  It's annoying to try to watch
that.

I just thought I'd mention for the record that mencoder itself produces
avi files which are generally in good sync (given a good source) in my
experience.

Michael