Re: mencoder: Converting divx to mpeg for VCD

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 22:16 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I was hoping for something a little less involved, since mencoder has
> so many options you'd think there'd be a clicky frontend for it.  I'll
> cope.
>
> Anyrate, after reading the documentation and realising it's warning
> about mp2 audio, I have to wonder how to force it to put the correct
> audio layer in for a VCD.  The following is nearly the example it
> gives, but this just copies audio.  I added -idx to make sure there's
> a real index.
>
> mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy -idx \
> original.divx.avi -o converted.vcd.mpeg
>
> Trying the following gave similar results, not sure what it did but it
> didn't give me audio on the converted version, either.
>
> mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac mp3lame -idx \
> original.divx.avi -o converted.vcd.mpeg
>
> I'm thinking I might need something like -lavcopts acodec=? but not
> sure if such an option exists or what to put there.

I've never encoded a vcd  :)  but I believe mencoder's `-of mpeg` is a
newer option that may not make mpeg1 video that actually works.  In the
TOOLS subdirectory of the source is a script called `mencvcd` which
uses mplayer and mjpegtools to make vcds.  If you're looking for a gui,
maybe try avidemux.

Michael