Can't Remove Module dc2xx

I am trying to get a program running that will help manage my HP 618 digital camera. The fellow who wrote the program, a non-Debian fellow, has looked at the log files the program produces and found the reason the program can't see the camera on the usb port is that a module, dc2xx, intended for Kodak cameras is present and is grabbing the port.

I remember when I did my debian install I added that module thinking it might be used by my camera as well, but not so. Now I want to remove it.

I have looked at /etc/modules and see that it is auto generated and not to be edited.

I have run modconf. There I see the dc2xx module. I unselect it and hit ok. My console tells me the module is removed and by running lsmod I see it is gone.

But after I reboot, lsmod produces:

apm                     9116   1  (autoclean)
dc2xx                   3136   0  (unused)
emu10k1                55712   0  (autoclean)
sound                  52844   0  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
ac97_codec              9568   0  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
soundcore               3204   7  (autoclean) [emu10k1 sound]
usb-uhci               20676   0  (unused)
usbcore                48000   1  [dc2xx usb-uhci]
3c59x                  24616   1
ntfs                   48512   0  (unused)
keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
input                   3040   0  [keybdev]

I tried running update-modules after using modconf to remove it again but on reboot, I still have that module.

Can someone tell me what I am missing in the process of getting rid of this module? I assume that, as a module, it is not part of the kernel and that it is a matter of getting things set so it does not load that module but obviously I am missing something.

I have hunted through various documents google produced and the man page for modconf but haven't come across a solution.

--
Ken Walker
http://lunar.ca