Re: Debian vs Gentoo versatility (NOT PERFORMANCE)

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:59:59AM -0700, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> So, here's a list of reasons why this is not as obvious appears (I'm sure there
> are more):
>
> * Compiler support: gcc has bugs.  gcc CPU optimizers have bugs, and they are
>   often subtle, and not well known, since most people don't use the CPU
>   specific options.  The i386 optimizer has been pretty well hashed out.  Has
>   the i686?  The i586?  The i486?

Sounds like an argument for having separate processor-specific
versions in unstable (? and testing). More people using them => more
chance of finding the bugs, and more real-world data on how much
difference it makes.

> * Where should the split be made?  i686 eliminates a lot of useful hardware,
>   i586 hurts i686 and i486 more than i386 does, i486 is probably okay, but
>   doesn't gain as much as i686, but probably is necessary in order to maintain
>   compatibilty with other Linuxes.

suggests i386, i486 and i686.

Are they going to be distinguished by -march or -mcpu? -march, I'd
hope: treat them as separate architectures.

> * What about archive/mirror load?  If you want to make the split, every package
>   needs to be rebuilt.  That's a lot of mirror traffic and disk usage.

True, but given the number of other architectures Debian already
supports it's not too bad in percentage terms.

> * What about upgrade path?
>
> * What about QA?
>
> And most importantly:
>
> * Who's going to do it?

Good point... however, once something compiles OK for i386, it's
_very_ rare for adding -march=i686 to break the compilation. Not like
porting to a totally different architecture. So much of the hassle
could be handled automatically (for CXXFLAGS in i386 i486 i686; do make...)

(Though I wish Makefiles were more consistent in their handling of
CXXFLAGS and the like... sometimes setting CXXFLAGS works, sometimes
you have to set CC="gcc -O2 -march=i686", sometimes you have to edit
the Makefile, sometimes it's a case of recursively hacking lots of
Makefiles which makes a gcc wrapper an easier solution. I've ended up
leaving the wrapper there all the time...)

FWIW I recompile the kernel, libc6, X, compression stuff and gcc
itself. I think it makes some difference, though I haven't done any
formal tests, roughly equivalent in "how it feels" to getting a
slightly better hard drive except without spending any money.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons