compiling modules for stock kernel (mach64 / daenzer)

I thought I'd done this before, but I can't remember how, nor has a
half-hour of googling found me the answer....

What I've got is some kernel modules that I want to compile and install
for the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel that I've got running on my system.
Specifically, I've got the drm-mach64 package from
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64/, and I'd like to compile
it.

Now, I have in the past made my own kernels with make-kpkg, and if I
keep that source tree around I have no trouble making modules for that
kernel also using make-kpkg.  However, that's now what I'm trying to do
here; I want to make the modules for the stock kernel.

How does one do this?

I do haev the kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 package installed, which I
*thought* was all that was necessary to build add-on modules for the
existing kernel.

I would be grateful for any suggestions anybody can provide.

-Rob

--
-=-=-= Rob Knop =-= rknop@pobox.com =-= http://www.pobox.com/~rknop =-=-=-
     Help the EFF protect basic freedoms online: http://www.eff.org