Re: Debian installation

* Chris Short
> Err well yes...cough cough.....errm
>
> Df shows I only have /dev/hda1
>
> So HOW do I get it to install to a bigger partition, or indeed any other
> partition?
>
> Or is it simpler just to make 2 partitions ? the / partition on 9 gig and
> swap file of 1 gig (although apparently 2 swap partitions of 512 each would
> be better)

First you must establish whether you _have_ any free space:

fdisk -l

  or

fdisk /dev/hda

Then I recommend that you install the LVM (is it 'apt-get install
lvm'?), and you are much more free in manipulating your disk space.

If not:  Plan your partitions, e.g.: /opt, /var, /usr and /usr/local.
Partition you disk using fdisk.

For each partition /dev/hdax with mount point /xxx do:
   Create file system:  'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdax'
   Insert mount points in /etc/ftab:  '/dev/hdax /xxx ext3 auto 1 2'
   Create a temporarely mount point:  'mkdir /mnt/xxx'
   Mount it temporarely:  'mount /dev/hdax /mnt/xxx'
   Copy old contents:  'cp -a /xxx  /mnt'
   Unmount:  'umount /mnt/xxx'

Mount all:  'mount -a'
Pray....