Re: Hurd [was:M$ licenses Unix]

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:26:37PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> I think there is potential in it as a concept and research effort, but I
> increasingly suspect that we are going to see a fork of Linux to extract
> a microkernel and servers from its codebase (while still abi compatible
> with traditional Linux) before the current limited resources available
> to the Hurd community get to a generally viable o/s.

You reckon? I think it's unlikely that anyone will want to spend the
enormous amounts of effort it would take to upend all the basic
assumptions of the Linux kernel to turn it into a microkernel; it would
be much more economical to just write one from scratch. Since monolithic
kernels are these days easily efficient enough for most if not all
purposes, neither goal attracts much attention.

Cheers,