Re: Doubling 100MBit ethernet by splitting the cable

On approximately Wed, May 21, 2003 at 05:35:52PM +0200, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Long time ago I've read that 100mbit ethernet uses only 2 pairs
> which leaves half of wires unused and thus when there's such a
> need - these can be used to create second 100mbit connection
> on the same cable (and connect second computer w/o the need of
> another cable).
>
> I've googled quite much and I am sure that's possible (with all
> doubts that it's non-standard solution etc.) [0]. But I still
> can't find good description (with images/asciiart preferred) of
> how to do this exactly?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> 				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

This sounds like something that you really don't need fancy diagrams
for, just some good old hacking involved.  First you take a standard
ethernet cable, which when putting it in the RJ-45 you have this:

Pin	 color
1	 white/orange	Tx+
2	 orange		Tx-
3	 white/green	Recv+
4	 blue		unused
5	 white/blue	unused
6	 grn		Recv-
7	 white/brown	unused
8	 brown		unused

>From there you can see that there are certainly a set of 4 unused
wires.  then all you would have to do is take the unused set and strip
them out of the insulation and wire them into their own jack following
the diagram above.  The only problem I see is depending on how far apart
the machines are going to be.  Hope this helps.

--
Josh McKinney		     |	Webmaster: http://joshandangie.org
Linux, the choice            | They that can give up essential liberty