Re: M$ licenses Unix

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:57:05PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
IIRC, GNU will change to the hurd sometime in the future. This does not
matter for debian, of course, ;-)

No, but I have a feeling Debian will get *lots* of users, since we're
still the first and only Hurd distro...

At my last LUG meeting, the HURD was mentioned, and there was quite a bit of interest in playing with it. I've been reading up on it this week, and plan to install it on a box very shortly. Although from what I've read, I'm anxious to get to the L4 kernel (fast) and away from the Mach kernel (slow). I'm pretty sure that Mac OS/X uses the Mach kernel (but with a monolithic "kernel" on top instead of many servers the way that the Hurd, and only the Hurd, uses), so I guess the Mach kernel isn't _too_ slow.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)