mod_perl and mysql

I run a small web server from my home.  Other than serving plain html
docs I have a web based golf handicap system that runs under
mod_perl.

I previously queried this list concerning a corrupted debian install (
ignorance on my part).  I worked the issue for a couple of week and
finally decided to give up and do a complete re-install.

I installed debian 3.0r1 (stable/woody) which went very well.  I installed
mysql sever and restored all database information.  I configured
Apache similar to the old install and re-installed my mod_perl scripts.

The web server is working, serves html content and provides access
control to the golf member portions.  The problem I am having is that
when my mod_perl scripts try to access the database I get an
"access denied - no login provided" error message.

I have given user "nobody" access permission to the golf db with no
password specified.  (I assume this is ok as user "nobody" cannot log
into the machine).

I'm sure I'll need to provide some additional data I'm just not sure what
is required.  Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

TIA

John Basso
Raytheon Systems Company
256-722-4125