Re: /etc/environment not read by su?

Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
> > Just editing /etc/profile isn't good enough?
>
> Well, people here said that /etc/environment is more appropriate for
> ${ht|f}tp_proxy than /etc/profile. I haven't tried /etc/profile yet, though.
> Guess I could give it a shot.

The problem with /etc/environment is that only a small number of
programers feel it is useful.  It is only used by only a few programs
and completely ignored by most programs.  Which means it is completely
hit or miss as to what will happen on a system.  And with no standards
to force uniformity I expect this situation to remain the norm for
quite some time.  If it is only sporadically supported then it would
seem better to avoid it.

Bob