Re: Network conf mess

Hi,

* Piero <ludovico.ariosto@wanadoo.fr> [030520 15:37]:
> I'm having difficulties setting up my network connection.
> So, I beg that someone in the list tell me where I can find very
> detailed instructions, or to give them.
>
> I'm connected to an adsl line through a router-switch, that is in turn
> connected to an adsl modem.
> My /etc/netork/interfaces file contains the two lines:
>
> auto lo et0
> iface et0 inet dhcp

Hmm. I think it should be more like:

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

NB. The loopback device is bought up and the eth device is eth0 not et0

> dmesg shows that at boot time eth0 is assciated with the NIC that is  in
> my computer.
>
> dhcp3 is installed.
>
> I would like to know:
>
> how to test if the module corresponding to the NIC is really charged

charged? Do you mean that the module is in the kernel. Do you know
what module you should be using?
If you do, lsmod will show you if it's there.

If not find out what your card is using lspci:

lspci | grep Ethernet

Then google for the correct module, or as the list.

Once you've found the nam of the module "modprobe the-module-name"

If it works, you can make sure it is loaded at boot time by doing the
following

echo "the-module-name" >> /etc/modules

> how to test if et0 is up and if it is reachable

What is the output of ifconfig?

> if there is any configuration file for dhcp3

I have never used dhcp3.  "dpkg -L dhcp3" will show all the files in
the package. Look for the ones in /etc.  I ususally use dhcpcd, which
works straight out of the box for me.

> Thanks a lot, especially if you direct me to a good documentation,

Have a look in /usr/share/doc/dhcp3/.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c7 #1 Thu May 15 18:07:35 JST 2003