Re: Network conf mess

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 11:16, Piero wrote:
> I'm having difficulties setting up my network connection.
> So, I beg that someone in the list tell me where I can find very
> detailed instructions, or to give them.
>
> I'm connected to an adsl line through a router-switch, that is in turn
> connected to an adsl modem.
> My /etc/netork/interfaces file contains the two lines:
>
> auto lo et0
> iface et0 inet dhcp
et0??? Is this a typo? if not, it may be the problem. The most common
ethernet device is eth0.

> dmesg shows that at boot time eth0 is assciated with the NIC that is  in
> my computer.
> dhcp3 is installed.
>
> I would like to know:
>
> how to test if the module corresponding to the NIC is really charged
lsmod will list all loaded kernel modules. see if one is for your nic.

> how to test if et0 is up and if it is reachable
/sbin/ifconfig
if it lists an address, ping it. (inet addr:?????)
if the info is there, then your computer found the nic. if there is an
address, then it was configured.

Try to include the output of the commands as shown on the screen.
summurizing or  restating what the command printed will not help us but
may confuse us.
redirect the command to a file and then include that or use the script
command.

> if there is any configuration file for dhcp3
>
> Thanks a lot, especially if you direct me to a good documentation,
> Piero.
-Kev
--
Kevin Mark <kmark@pipeline.com>