Re: vacation

on Sat, 17 May 2003 07:57:07AM -0500, Shyamal Prasad insinuated:
>     "Paul" == Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>     Paul> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 02:46:20PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen
>     Paul> wrote:
>     >> i'm going away for the weekend, and want to put up an
>     >> auto-responder to let people know that i will be away.
>
>     Paul> Oh, please don't.

it's useful for some purposes -- i want certain people to know I'm out
of town, and therefore not responding to my email on the usual
three-minute turnaround i usually have.

>     Paul> You wouldn't believe how annoying those
>     Paul> autoresponders are on a mailing list when they can't figure
>     Paul> out who it really came from.
>
> A properly setup/designed auto-responder should not respond to mail
> that originated in a mailing list. In recent years Microsoft Outlook
> has given autoresponders a really bad name.

word.  i fully intend to *not* auto-reply to mailing lists and such,
and i'm guessing that procmail with vacation are properly
setup/designed auto-responders ... i'd just need to configure it
correctly.

:0 c
| /usr/bin/vacation nori

wouldn't quite do it, eh?  would

:0 c
* !^FROM_DAEMON
|/usr/bin/vacation nori

do it?

that doesn't seem to do it, though ... i've got a valid email with
headers as my .vacation.msg, and the invocation is as you see above.
i get nothing back from my test account.  any ideas?

thanks,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu