Re: My first question on Debian

On Mon, 19 May 2003 clay@dawning.com.cn wrote:

> Hi, Debian folks.
>
> I've been tired of tweaking spec files and wrestling with RPM
> dependencies for long...
>
> I hate to see that "Demo service for server 1002200202 limited due to
> high load" message from Redhat's up2date servers...
>
> I simply can't wait that long for RH to update this RPM or that, since
> dependency hells prevented me to do it myself...
>
> Yesterday, I decided to burn a KNOPPIX CD to have a look at Debian,
> without having to sacrifice one of my boxes. And I was impressed!
>
> But when I went to a mirror site, wanting to grab the bleeding-edge
> ISOs, I met a problem.
>
> I know this may sound silly to your Debianers, but I really don't know
> which one to download -- there're several dirs under
> debian-unofficial:
> hurd/    potato/     sarge/  sid/    woody/
> each with some ISOs under it.
>
> So, which is the most *bleeding-edge* one?

Hi,

You have had some good responses, but I would have another possible way
for you to go.  Why not install Knoppix?  It is easy (do a ctl-alt-F2 to a
console, type knx-hdinstall and it will install) and a very good
installation.  And as you probably know, Knoppix is Debian underneath and
you already have an iso with most of the latest apps.  After installation
you can change the /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect unstable and you will
be able to install the latest apps from the debian site.

Dan Owens	mtn@redmeadow.com		Bigfork, MT.