Re: My first question on Debian

clay@dawning.com.cn writes:

> But when I went to a mirror site, wanting to grab the bleeding-edge
> ISOs, I met a problem.
>
> I know this may sound silly to your Debianers, but I really don't know
> which one to download -- there're several dirs under
> debian-unofficial:
> hurd/    potato/     sarge/  sid/    woody/
> each with some ISOs under it.
>
> So, which is the most *bleeding-edge* one?

If you really, really want *bleeding-edge*, that's sid.  It updates
daily.  Sometimes it breaks.  Sometimes it breaks a lot.  If you're
going to run sid, you should probably already be familiar with the
basics of running a Debian system, and have some clue about the Debian
bug-tracking system (http://bugs.debian.org/, reportbug package).  You
also almost certainly want to subscribe to the debian-devel-announce
list, and possibly to debian-devel and debian-user (both fairly high
traffic).  debian-devel-changes gets a message each time a new package
is uploaded (so also fairly high traffic).

	-- Abra Mitchell