Re: Sound advice please-ac97

On Sun, 18 May 2003 13:07:12 -0700
"Lonnie Sutton" <lsutton2@qwest.net> wrote:

> I have a new box I just built and have installed Debian on. I have
> upgraded to testing, and have compiled a custom 2.4.20 kernel. I am
> running WindowMaker and have not installed KDE or Gnome, and do not
> have ESD installed. I compiled sound support into the kernel and I am
> using the onboard sound chip. The board is a Soyo K7VTA Pro. The
> following shows in dmesg:
>
> YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
> 1993-1996
> Via 686a audio driver 1.9.1
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.5
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: <83><84>v9(SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
> via82cxxx: Codec rate locked at 48Khz
> via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xDC00, IRQ 5

I recommend to use the Alsa sound drivers instead of the dying OSS
drivers from the kernel and a sound server like e.g. Arts or Jack to be
able to use multiple sound sources at one time. If you're also
considering to make music with your box then Jack (package jackd) will
definitely be your choice as it's designed from scratch fo fulfill
professional demands like low latency. You will also have to patch your
kernel with a low latency patch for Jack to work, but IMO it's worth it.
:)

Regards,
Christian