Sound advice please-ac97

I have a new box I just built and have installed Debian on. I have
upgraded to testing, and have compiled a custom 2.4.20 kernel. I am
running WindowMaker and have not installed KDE or Gnome, and do not have
ESD installed. I compiled sound support into the kernel and I am using
the onboard sound chip. The board is a Soyo K7VTA Pro. The
following shows in dmesg:

YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
Via 686a audio driver 1.9.1
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.5
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: <83><84>v9(SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
via82cxxx: Codec rate locked at 48Khz
via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xDC00, IRQ 5

so I think sound should be OK. I can use xmms to listen to streaming
audio (shoutcast) and to listen to audio CD's.

I have two problems that I have not been able to resolve and would
appreciate pointers on what to do next. I have searched the archives and
have checked all the permissions that I thought should apply, and the
user and group settings all seem OK.

The problems I am having are in trying to use RealPlayer8. The program
installed OK, and comes up when I click on a link in Galeon that should
be a playable link in RealPlayer. However, I get an error message
"Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."
When I get that message, I check fuser and ps, and there are no sound
users or processes running. The second problem is with the sound on any
flash. The video in a flash presentation works fine, the sound is
highly distorted and unintelligible. I can detect some variation in
pitch and that is it. The plugins look OK when I do an "about:plugins".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers.

Lonnie Sutton - lsutton2@qwest.net - Bainbridge Island, WA 98110