RE: [NMLUG] Newbie: Kernel Panic

I should say, I tried booting off the CD, and entering: rescue root=/dev/hde1, but it doesn’t help much. (I’m using a ata100 disk, so hde1 is correct).

-----Original Message-----
From: nmlug-admin@nmlug.org [mailto:nmlug-admin@nmlug.org] On Behalf Of Brian Gonzales
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 2:15 PM
To: 'debian-user'; nmlug@swcp.com
Subject: [NMLUG] Newbie: Kernel Panic

Well, I’ve gone and done it! J

I had my Debian Woody 3.0 system working just fine and just wanted to upgrade my Kernel. I did it once before and the process went swimingly. I then tried updating last night and hosed the boot process. I’m running the WinXP portion of my system, so I know *something’s* running properly.

When I boot, I see the Lilo screen giving an option of WinXP and that’s it. When I updated before, I saw 3 choices: WinXP, Debian (old kernel) and Debian (new kernel). Before I upgraded the kernel, I saved lilo.conf in a back up file (lilo.conf.05172003), so I feel if I can access a command line, I can restore the old lilo.conf.

Here’s where my boot-up hangs:

Kernel Panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Any help would be appreciated!