Re: telnet vs ssh [WAS: Re: Dropping telnetd and rsh* for security reasons?]

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:59:34PM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:

Yes, frankly, in some cases it is. Not to mention that in some cases one
isn't using one's own computer and must or should deal with the fact that
downloading and installing software isn't what the owner had in mind.

It's one file, nothing to install.  It just runs.  It fits on a low
density 5.25" disk with plenty to spare.  If you can't make putty and
ssh work for you, you probably need to find an environment more
condusive to computing.

When I am at a strange computer and need ssh access, I use a web-based java applet(<http://www.appgate.com/mindterm/>) that is set up on a server I have an account on. Usually, most computers have a java-enabled web browser nowadays so I don't need to remember to carry around a floppy. :)