Re: SCO targets Linux customers *name correction*

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:49:03AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> [Please don't post in HTML!]
>
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 07:53:47PM +1200, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
> >    Ladies & gentlemen,
> >
> >    geeks off in far flung & darkened places, *please* pronounce the
> >    protagonists name correctly!!!!
> >
> >    SCUM.
> >
> >    Any Questions?  ;-)
>
> Jokes aside, I prefer the approach of the Advocacy mini-HOWTO:
>
>   Refer to another product by its proper name.  There's nothing to be
>   gained by attempting to ridicule a company or its products by using
>   "creative spelling".  If we expect respect for Linux, we must respect
>   other products.

Although SCO does not seem to come into this category, there
does exist the case where the company ridicules its own
product, by choosing a name that is so twee and naff that
saying/typing it leaves a bad taste in the mouth/slime on the
keyboard. Examples: PayPal, One-2-One, Bad Boy. When I want to buy
credits for my mobile phone I ask for a "T-Mobile card" (admittedly
only a marginal improvement), and I'd be quite likely to call
Microsoft's major OS by another name even if I liked it.

Now to wash my keyboard...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons