Re: Fingerprinting motherboards

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 12:12:12PM +1000, David Cureton wrote:

> I was not actually trying to identify an specific motherboard such as is done
> when trying to lock software to a specific host(ie MAC address) .
>
> I am trying to identify a class of motherboard. Oh this one is a Gigabyte
> GA-7VAXP and this one is a ASUS-blah... and so on.
>
> I'm not sure if the motherboard vendors purchase MAC address ranges and if
> there would be no guarantee that Mobo X is in range Y.
>
> Have to see if MoBo manuf. actually get assigned MAC address ranges.
>
> Thanks David

MAC adresses consist of a unique vendor identifier and a unique unit
identifier. With onboard NICs, this could very well work, unless MoBo
manufacturers change chipsets w/o notice, which happens sometimes.

http://www.firewall.cx/mac_addresses.php

HTH,
Nick

--
|                 The greatest woes of the programmer?                 |