Re: Fingerprinting motherboards

On Thu, 15 May 2003, David Cureton wrote:

> I was not actually trying to identify an specific motherboard such as is done
> when trying to lock software to a specific host(ie MAC address) .
>
> I am trying to identify a class of motherboard. Oh this one is a Gigabyte
> GA-7VAXP and this one is a ASUS-blah... and so on.

Well, wcpuid for Windows does this detection quite nicely.  Try dumping
the contents of your bios out to a file.  Take a known motherboard, and
grep for the manufacturer in that file.  I remember doing this a long
time ago trying to remotely identify systems for a hardware upgrade and
inventory.

Has the advantage of telling you the bios version as well.

Found it easier to grab my screwdriver and pop the side off the case
though.

Mike