Fingerprinting motherboards

Hi all,
	I am currently working on an application that uses multiple cards of  custom
pci hardware.  This hardware is installed in standard PC chassis's. I would
like to be able to reference the cards as slot1 slot2 slot2 slot4 ...

The PCI spec has no concept of slot numbers or slot identification, as a
result there is no direct mapping between where a PCI slot physically lives
on the motherboard and where it lives in the PCI logical bus tree.

This throws up the problem that for each supported motherboard we have to
provide a PCI mapping file which maps the PCI logical address to a physical
slot number. ie.
	PCI device  00:0d.0 is slot 1
	PCI device  00:0e.0 is slot 2
	etc etc
These are different for each motherboard brand we have come across.

No biggie there. However I was just wondering on what peoples thoughts are on
the best way to fingerprinting a motherboard so I know which PCI mapping file
I should install.

I am planning on parsing the output of 'lspci' and using the type/PCI bus
address of onboard devices to generate a unique motherboard key.  I may also
include processor type information as that should also split the ID space
into a number of sectors.

While not strictly debian related - what are your thoughts?

Regards,
David