Re: Dropping telnetd and rsh* for security reasons?

Hi Carl,

[Hope my wrapping has improved; apologies to all]

> It's useful in debugging sometimes, e.g. "telnet nameofhost 25" to
> test whether the SMTP server is responding correctly.

Paul spoke of telnetd being removed, not the telnet client (dpkg -l
*telnet*). The only reason I personally use the telnet client is for the
very same reason you describe.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for suggestions from the other list
members on the other/proper methods of checking stuff like that to get
rid of the telnet client aswell. ;-)

Bye... Nico