Re: 30 - 40% load xmms

    Tim> Hi all does anyone else suffer from extremely high cpu load when
    Tim> using xmms ?  mine averages aound 25%, which kind of kills things a
    Tim> little when I try to open another app.  Am curently using KDE
    Tim> 2.2.2, on woody with xmms 1.2.7.  Memory usage is quite high as
    Tim> well, so I'm going to up that, just when I used media player under
    Tim> windows (same laptop) it ran fine whilst running other apps.
    Tim> Notebook is P200MMX - not great but runs everything fine for me
    Tim> apart from this sound load issue. If I could find a low cpu/memory
    Tim> usage player (.mp3, .pls) I'd happily swap, just cant seem to find
    Tim> (a recent) one that does streaming.

I didn't play any mp3 for a long time, so I can't tell it for sure.  But
playing ogg uses very little resources (both CPU and memory).  I regularly
have a playlist of 600 songs, it never go beyond 5M Virtual memory usage.
Try mpg321 to see whether it is intrinsic to the CPU requirement, and if not
it is probably a bug in the MP3 module of XMMS.

Regards,
Isaac.