Re: Mutt & GnuPG

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:35:35AM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> Okay, I was asking for it.  :)  The problem, though, is that there are
> few e-mail clients out there that understand PGP/MIME.  What's worse,
> there is an e-mail client that breaks with PGP/MIME -- Outlook.

There are some... presumably a few even under Win{dows|doze|blows}.
If people continue to use a client that refuses to handle PGP/MIME properly
(even after how long now?)... then I think it's totally valid to point out
to those people:  "Your client program is rendering it wrong.  This is a
bug. Report the bug, and if it doesn't get fixed find a new mail client."

If someone's prepared to keep using Outlook in spite of its myriad other
problems (running from the merely annoying bloat to the catastrophic
security vulnerabilities) then it seems to me that adding "view attachment"
to the already-long list of Outlook annoyances is pretty minor.

> Not recommending clear-signing messages, when people want to communicate
> with Outlook users is not really helpful, is it?
This is very true... if they *only* want to communicate with Outlook users.
By conforming to Microsoft's (non)standard, it makes it less convenient for
those of us who are expecting the *standard* behaviour.

I suppose you could always set up send-hooks in mutt to clearsign messages
to particular recipients...

	Cheers!