Drupal under woody/stable

I'm trying to get drupal running under woody.

Does anyone have any experience here as to what the best method is,
given that it's not actually in stable?

Is an "apt-get source drupal" best, or does it need to pull in a load of
build-depends?  I know it's PHP, but I'm not sure if it needs any
extra build-time packages.

Or should I just get the upstream tarball and stick it in /var/www?

Ability to respond quickly to vulnerabilities is a high priority, so I'd
prefer not to upgrade to testing on the public server I'm targeting
here.

Ideas, clues, LARTs onlist, please.
  jc