Re: Libranet to sooth the savage Debian beast???

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 10:42, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2003-05-12T15:13:07Z, Mariano Kamp <mkamp@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Well, I would say that makes i386 a second class citizen as it is not
> > living up to what is possible and justified by the target audience size.
>
> The other side of the argument is that by making a system well-designed and
> portable, *every* platform comes out ahead.  ISTR that Debian uncovered some
> deep-seated bugs in X and GCC that only manifested on non-x86 platforms.
> Fixing those bugs made life better for everyone.  I believe that the
> installer folks have the same philosophy.

Making the i386 installer do h/w detection doesn't make the other
platforms 2nd class citizens.  What it *does do is make Debian easier
to install on the *dominant* platform.

Besides, someone may make a discover-ppc, or discover-sparc, etc, thus
making those platforms easier to install on also.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |