Re: Why are so many packages "held back?"

On 11/05/03 Neal Lippman did speaketh:

> I'm wondering why so many packages get held back. I run testing, and
> when I do an apt-get upgrade, about 10-15 packages are being held back.
> I would have assumed that all packages in testing were "up to date" for
> the testing release, so why do things get held back?

    They probably require new packages to be installed. Remember that
upgrade never installs anything new. It only upgrades existing packages.
If you want to clear most of those away, use dist-upgrade, which will
install new packages.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix