Re: Why are so many packages "held back?"

On 12/05/03 Thomas H. George did speaketh:

> 	I routinely use dist-upgrade and last week file-rc and kudzu
> 	were held back.  Out of curiousity I tried install file-rc (not
> 	really smart since it is a one-shot installation) and quickly
> 	abandoned the attempt when warned that if I continued many key
> 	packages and one essential package would be removed.  I hope
> 	this is just a temporary problem.

    Most likely one of the requirements of the packages in question
could not be satisfied. Examine it in detail and talk to the package
maintainer who's work is not yet available for an ETA, but remember,
they're all volunteers on their own time.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix